Saturday, June 18, 2011

Maui- with no pictures

Our internet is down so I am unable to download all of our marvelous pictures from Maui. But I will give a brief and then post picture when the good ole internet is working.

So, we had a blast! We were there for 10days and went with my two closest childhood friends, Brittany and Terra and their husbands/boyfriend. We stayed in Kihei the first couple nights and then in Wailea the rest of the time. We snorkeled lots, boogie boarded, swam, shopped, wave jumped, took a boat out to Molekini (a small island off Maui), went to a luau, and didn't do half the things we planned because we were too busy relaxing! :) The flowers there are unreal and scent the entire atmosphere! And we got to swim with turtles which was one thing I would have been really disappointed about if I didn't get to do! But we swam next to about 6 or 7 total. Saw lots of pretty colorful fish. Ate at Tommy Bahamas, Cheeseburger in Paradise, etc and at Spago- Emeril Lagasse's restaraunt, we ate a few tabels away from Anthony Hopkins (I didn't know who he was, but apparently hes a pretty big deal). The food was amazing and the cocktails were just as fantastic! Without pictures, this is just another boring blog! But since we have no pictures of the following event, I suppose now would be a good time to mention Adam's scare. Sorry for those who already know the story. Here's a quick version:

We were out to dinner with the group and after appetizers Adam started to not feel well, describing what felt like really bad heart burn and chest pains. I was off taking pictures, Terra alerted me that Adam was leaving to get antacids. He looked very uncomfortable so I left with him. But before we left we asked the waitress if anything we ate had shellfish, since Adam has an anaphylactic reaction to it, the waitress quickly replied no. Terra told me to grab my phone when we got back to the condo. On the way to the condo Adam was having a hard time driving because the pain was so bad. We go to the condo, couldn't find antacids but I told him to take a benedryl just in case, because at this point something wasn't matching up with just "heartburn". I grabbed my phone and on the way to the car I saw Adam spitting and drooling. He looked at me and his face was very swollen and eyes were blood shot. He was having a reaction- no doubt! We quickly got in the car and headed down the "freeway". I got on the phone with 911, they directed me to an urgent care. I had Adam take a deep breath and heard him wheeze. Moments later they called back saying that one was closed and gave me the name of the street for another urgent care. Hawaiin names are hard to grasp but right as the lady was spelling it I looked up and there was the street. I had been going 90-95mph laying on my horn and running lights. By the time we got to urgent care, Adam was just hanging in there. We rushed in and because of the 911 call they knew we were coming and had epi ready to give. Adam was wheezing, dry heeving, and drooling. His face was so swollen and his eyes watering. Within minutes of the epi he looked and felt better. I knew the wheezing was a sure sign of impending doom, but I asked the Doc how much time we had before he would have had to do an emergency tracheotomy(hole in throat), his response was "2-3 minutes". The things that would have delayed us by 2-3 minutes were numerous!
-If Terra wouldnt have told me Adam was leaving
-If Terra wouldnt have told me to grab my phone (I wouldnt have normally, I never have it on me)
-If the waitress actually would have known that the food had crab in it, we would have called an ambulance and since the nearest medical center/dispatcher for ambulances is 25 minutes away, they probably wouldnt have made it in time
-If I hadnt have sped and ran redlights
-If 911 hadnt called back in time and if I hadnt have picked up my phone (random number calling while my husband was dying-not a time I would usually pick up)
Theres so many things........
I don't really want to go into detail but the restaraunt had added crab into ther "spinach and artichoke dip"and nobody knew but the Head Chef and Manager.

Were just thanking God that he provided those 2-3 minutes. Reaction time shortens by almost half each time you are exposed/have a reaction. So we are working on quick Epi pen access if it ever happens again.

Pictures of the fun stuff to come!

No comments: